Scholar Athlete Winners
Back Row L to R: Taylor Perry, Fairland High School; Jake Henderson, Waverly High School; Sean Frost, Manchester High School; Wesley Stephens, Chesapeake High School; Andrew Wolford, Valley High School; Preston Schultz, Logan Elm High School; Riley Evans, Miami Trace High School; Mason Harris, Minford High School; Kent Dunn, Southeastern High School and OHSAA Assistant Commissioner Jerry Snodgrass.
Front Row L to R: Lydia Beardsley, Waterford High School; Morgan Johnson, Manchester High School; Michaela Criner, Fairfield Union High School; Abigail Waugh, Jackson High School; Madison Snyder, Hillsboro High School; Emily Spriggs, North Adams High School; Cassidy Bosch, Logan High School and Sue-Yeon Ryu, Athens High School.
The Ohio High School Athletic Association annually provides scholarships for outstanding student athletes from its member schools. Each member high school may submit one senior male and one senior female candidate for scholarship consideration. Each member high school may also submit one senior female minority and one senior male minority candidate. The scholarships are awarded to student-athletes who have excelled in the classroom as well as high school sports.
At the state level, the OHSAA provides forty-eight scholarships across the six OHSAA athletic districts. Thirty-six students receive $1,000 awards – including one student from each of the six OHSAA athletic districts that will receive an Ethnic Minority Scholarship – the remaining scholarships are awarded proportionately according to the number of schools in each athletic district.
In addition to the four scholarships awarded by the Ohio High School Athletic Association the Southeast District Athletic Board (SEDAB) is proud to award an additional twenty-one scholarships to the deserving scholar-athletes in Southeast Ohio. In conjunction with the OHSAA the SEDAB recently announced the 2016 Scholar-Athlete Scholarship awards at their annual Scholar-Athlete Banquet on June 23, 2016 in Jackson, Ohio.
The OHSAA and SEDAB are pleased to announce the following scholarship winners:
1) Lydia Beardsley of Waterford High School has been awarded the SEDAB Roger Thompson Memorial Scholarship in the amount of one thousand ($1000). Lydia plans to enroll at Ohio University in the fall and study Environmental Studies;
2) Lynsey Booker of St Joseph Central High School has been awarded the SEDAB $500 Scholarship in the amount of five hundred ($500). Lynsey plans to enroll at Miami University in the fall and study Kinesiology;
3) Cassidy Bosch of Logan High School has been awarded the SEDAB $500 Scholarship in the amount of five hundred ($500). Cassidy plans to enroll at Capital University or The University of Mount Union in the fall and study Nursing;
4) Mackenzie Conlon of Hillsboro High School has been awarded the SEDAB James Mains Memorial Scholarship in the amount of one thousand ($1000). Mackenzie plans to enroll at Undecided in the fall and study Anthropology and Creative Writing; Southeast District Athletic Board Serving the Member Schools of Southeast Ohio Mark LaFon, President - Dan Brisker, Secretary - Rick Edwards, Treasurer Rick Barrett – Tony Deem – Leonard Steyer – Stephanie Evans Mark Knapp -Tony Mantell – Bo Arnett - Steve Stirn
5) Michaela Criner of Fairfield Union High School has been awarded the SEDAB $500 Scholarship in the amount of five hundred ($500). Michaela plans to enroll at University of Rio Grande in the fall and study Nursing;
6) Kent Dunn of Southeastern High School has been awarded the SEDAB Minority Scholarship in the amount of five hundred ($500). Kent plans to enroll at Marietta College in the fall and study Petroleum Engineering;